Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Treats

No challenge today, I just want to share a cute little Easter project with you. Aren't these just darling?  They are not entirely my own creation, I went looking on-line for a treat box and found a tutorial at XO Stamping Studio, I just made some changes to make it Easter themed.

One of the things I changed was the way I cut out the purse die.  I realised that I did not need the whole die and so to save card stock used an A4 sheet of card stock cut into quarters (14.9cm x 10.5cm).  

 As you can see this makes a bit of a mess of the purse, but leaves the parts you will need for the treat holder. 

You can see from this picture that you will still need to trim a reasonable amount from the purse!

The next step is to trim the top off each of the panels. The neatest, most consistent way to do this is to fold up the bottom of the purse and line up with one of the vertical lines on the paper trimmer - I used the 6cm mark (2-3/8"). 

To make this easier for mass production I used a small piece of craftwood I had lying around and after lining it up butted the bottom of the purse against it for a neat even cut. You could also use a small set square, a flat cutting plate from your Big Shot, or a piece of chipboard.

 I am very much the fan of making things easier for myself, so I created this little template by running some chipboard through the Big Shot and then trimming approx 3mm (1/8") from each side.

One of the benefits of this is that you can then position the template right over the DSP right where you want it.  I really like when things are centred and this works perfectly.  Adhere one of these to each panel.

Apply adhesive to the side tab on one of the panels, I used Tombow, but Sticky Strip or other strong adhesive would also work well. 

 Line the tab up with the side of a second panel.  I found it easier to fold the tab over and ensure the two pieces were lined up evenly.  Do this with the second pair of panels, then use same process for adhering the two sections together.  

Add a base 6.7cm x 6.7cm (2-5/8" x 2-5/8"). Then fold over the tops and adhere with TomBow or Sticky Strip.  

Decorate the box as desired according to the occasion.  I finished mine off with cute little punch art chicks using the 2-Step Owl Punch and sentiment from Teeny Tiny Sentiments.

Happy Stamping

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to write them.