Friday, April 25, 2014

Modern Vintage Flowers

Lest We Forget.  Today is ANZAC Day, a day Australians and New Zealanders commemorates "the anniversary of the first major military action by Australian and New Zealand forces during the first World War" - Australian War Memorial. It has grown to be a day to remember all the brave men and women in our armed forces who have defended the freedom of this country and others. 

ANZAC day is a pubic holiday in Australia and it has given me the opportunity for some crafting.  I found a few challenges to enter to get my creativity flowing Fusion Challenge, Just Add Ink, and Stampin' Up! Only Challenge to feature flowers.

I just love the colours in this challenge, as my daughter said vintage but just bright enough to make it modern. I haven't used my Oh, Hello stamp set much, and am a bit sad to see it on the US retirement list, so decided I best get it out and inked up in case it retires here too.  I stamped the chevrons and was going to put them on the flower panel full size, but they seemed a bit big and overwhelming.  Instead I punched them with the Chevron Punch.  The flower and sentiment are both from Blooming with Kindness, not on the retired list which makes me very happy.  I embossed the flower with White Embossing Powder then sponged Crumb Cake and Bermuda Bay over the top, sentiment is also done with White Embossing Powder and really pops.  The Crumb Cake base seemed a little pale so I stamped the flower image along the edges in Baked Brown Sugar to give some subtle detail.  

I hope you like my card, and take a moment to remember armed forces who so selflessly risk their lives for our freedom.

Happy Stamping

12 comments:

  1. This is very pretty, Monique. I especially love the stamping on the base card, and your white-embossed and sponged flower - just lovely. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the use of emboss resist with the white embossing along with the chevrons! Thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've aced this challenge Monique! Beautiful card & effective techniques...Really lovely! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty card - I like the brightness of the white flower against your sponged Bermuda Bay - love how you have used the Chevrons too. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really gorgeous patterned chevrons on your card! Thanks so much for joining the Fusion Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you used the colours Monique. The flower glows and the patterned chevrons are a great accent. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that flower image - so striking!
    Thanks for sharing your card at Just Add Ink this week.

    Trish
    JAI Deign Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely stunning, Monica. Thanks for playing along at SUO Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo I LOVE how you colored your flower! It is simply GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for joining the SUO challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You've knocked this sketch out of the park. I love how you've embossed and inked. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great take on the sketch. Love your flower :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to write them.