Sunday, March 7, 2021

CTC #308 - CASE The Colours of the Sea and Sand DSP

Welcome to another week at CASEing the Catty Sunday Blog Hop, where utilise the projects within the current Stampin' Up! catalogue to inspire our own projects each week. We also invite you to join with us in the challenge each week by using this inspiration in your own creations and uploading a photo to our Facebook page.

This week we are taking our inspiration from the colours of the Sea & Sand DSP, these colours are Blushing Bride, Flirty Flamingo, Melon Mambo, Seaside Spray, So Saffron and Sahara Sand. You can of course add neutrals or foil to your projects.

Here are those colours in a swatch, although when I am creating I usually pull out the ink pads for each colour and have them sitting on my desk, or if it is quite a few colours I have some cardstock swatches that help me work out layers etc. 

I wanted to play around with my blending brushes to colour the flowers in the True Love DSP and used all three of the pinks as well as So Saffron to give them some depth and variety.  I also used Blending Brushes to add colour to one of the patterned pieces of DSP from the same pack, I really like how the Seaside Spray and Sahara Sand blend together, but they were a little overwhelming when I put the flowers on top so I added a layer of vellum. A little bit of strategic placing of Dimensionals means that the whole vellum layer sits above the ombre DSP layer. I wanted to add a matt to the piece before adhering onto the Basic Black base, so repeated the blending on a piece of Basic White cardstock and then flipped it over so it sat opposite to the DSP piece so Seaside Spray was contrasted against Sahara Sand on both ends! 

I had such fun with the first card that I wanted to try another with more of a focus on the pinks and yellows so added all three of the pinks to the DSP base layer and used only So Saffron on the flowers, building colour in the middle of the flowers and leaving it softer on the edges.  On both cards the leaves are coloured in Sahara Sand with a Stampin Write Marker. I added Seaside Spray on the cute little dragonflies. Again on this card I have raised the vellum layer up with some strategically placed dimensionals under the flowers, sentiment and dragonfly.

I wanted to show you a closer look at the little dragonflies as I have a tip for stamping them out.  I was initially a bit frustrated that they didn't have their own stamp and then I realised I could just stamp the larger dragonfly and punch out the little dragonfly from it if I was careful with the positioning.  I aded some Wink of Stella to all of the wings for some added shimmer. 

Like my card last week, both cards also allowed me to use floral images from the outside of the 12 x 12 DSP, where they were cut off the DSP sheet I just lined them up against the side of the card.  I have also disguised the gap between the two sets of flowers with a little dragonfly.

How do you get the most out of your DSP?

I hope you are inspired to join in the challenge this week, just use the colours in the Sea and Sand DSP to inspire your creativity, then post a picture of your project to the CTC Facebook page.

Time to hop on over and see what Kathryn has created this week.

Happy Stamping
Monique

7 comments:

  1. Both cards are fabulous Monique!! Just lovely - the colouring choice and themes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great use of the blending brushes and ink on the flowers and backgrounds. I love the addition of the vellum layer. Great tip re the smaller dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea for the smaller dragonfly!! I love how you have blended your cards, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, first one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique, this DSP is wonderful for colouring and your take with the blending brushes are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cards are so beautlful! I really love the reversed matts on the first card - such a great idea! The shimmery dragonflies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, you are so very clever, the blending brushes have taken these gorgeous flowers to the next lever - they are stunning. Love the vellum layer too - it's all so wonderful and glorious!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to write them.